Stretching out the possibilities

By Victoria Trevino / Reporter Between juggling school, work, relationships and their personal life, students have a lot on their hands. Many may be seeking an outlet to relieve stress. Elizabeth Venegas, a Del Mar College student and a yogi (as those who practice yoga are called), said yoga has benefited her life in numerous ways. “I feel awake and alert and full of energy and internal peace when I finish yoga. It’s such a positive reinforcer,” Venegas said. Yoga is an ancient practice that has been around for more than 5,000 years. A yoga class typically consists of physical exercises…

“Cool Sips” offers drive-thru bar and food

By Midori Allen / Associate Editor  On February 5th, 2014 Corpus Christi was introduced to a new local business, the “drive-thru bar and grill,” Cool Sips. Sonia Silva, co-founder and partner with Michelle Burden have opened up a new drive-thru for drinks, food, alcoholic beverages, and snacks. Silva has seen places in the Houston and San Antonio area that served alcoholic beverages through a drive thru, and wanted to bring the same idea to Corpus Christi. “Every place I researched and went to only catered to men,” said Silva. “They only served beer, but we are family friendly and offer…

Speedy Ortiz gives the feedback

Raul Alonzo /Reporter  Along with Big Ups, Pile, Microphonic and the Denim Hares, the spring break show held at the NASA on March 9 also included the rising talent of Massachuesetts rockers, Speedy Ortiz. Coming off a busy 2013, in which their debut LP Major Arcana was featured on music blog Pitchfork’s top 50 albums as well as Setereogum’s annual Gummy awards, the band had just wrapped up a tour of Europe before playing Corpus Christi for the first time. Via conference call, drummer Mike Falcone and, later, guitarist/vocalist Sadie Dupuis spoke with the Del Mar College Foghorn prior to…

Cassidy’s plans big block party for St. Patrick’s Day

By Kira Hays / Reporter Keeping the St. Patrick’s Day tradition alive, Cassidy’s Irish Pub co-owner Michael Treiber is pulling out all the stops for this year’s Cassidy’s St. Patrick’s Day Block Festival. “It all started because, on St. Patrick’s Day, the pub would be at max capacity at 5 p.m. and we had to turn a lot of people away,” Treiber said. “That’s when I decided we needed to expand. We did, and now this year is going to be the biggest yet.“

Two big reasons to smile

Joshua Johnson-White / Reporter In the past two to three years, an interest has risen within the field of dental assisting. Along with Del Mar College, several similar programs in neighboring institutes in the Coastal Bend have opened including Southern Careers Institute, ITT Technical Institute, South Texas Vocational Training Institute and Kaplan College.