Different reasons for using public transportation

A student I.D. is a valid bus ticket for every student at Del Mar College. On Jan. 20, the weather was a warm and sunny 40 degrees. There was only one man out waiting to ride the bus in the weather. Mike, even standing in the cold, was excited for the bus to go home from work. “The pricing isn’t bad” he said. Once on the bus, Mike was kind enough to help with directions and what route to take.   Over the hour ride only two more people hopped on. Another man named Joe got on and laid down…

Elevate 361 benefits young adults in Nueces County

Elevate 361 acts as a life coach for at-risk 16- to 24-year-olds in the Nueces County area. “Elevate 361 was created to help opportunity youths who fall through the cracks of the system and to elevate them,” said Kimberly Head, the center’s director, stating she uses the term “opportunity youths” to describe young adults and or at-risk youths. Elevate 361 is used as a hub to help with young adults struggling with homelessness, joblessness, school, drugs, etc. With the help of partners such as Workforce Solutions, Crossroads and many others, the location houses many representatives to connect them to the…

Connecting commuters in Corpus Christi

For our first News Gathering and Writing assignment, we were tasked to ride the B-line Corpus Christi bus for an hour while simultaneously interviewing at least three people. Growing up near downtown San Antonio, I was no stranger to public transportation. Interviewing people, however, was entirely foreign to me. Nervously, I hopped on with no route planned and only my journal and wits in hand. For about 45 minutes, I rode around with only one other older gentleman while trying to work up the nerve to talk to him. However, a few minutes later two women hopped inside and sat…

Public transit can help students save

One major factor that led many students to Del Mar College was its affordability. After books, supplies and daily expenses, college students could stand to save a few bucks any way they can. Included in the tuition of every Del Mar student is the ability to ride any Corpus Christi Regional Transit Authority bus with their student ID. Students have already paid their bus fare to ride what is commonly referred to as “The B.” I have been fortunate to have used some of the great public transit systems in the United States from Honolulu to New York City, Philadelphia…

Special olympics makes a big difference in local community

Nonprofit organizations bring people together to support a common good. They not only provide a sense of community but also play a fundamental role in fostering a community to strengthen and thrive. I want to be able to shed some light on the many great organizations out there that are local to us and the work they do for our community. On Jan. 13, Special Olympics held its first Regional Bowling Competition here in Corpus Christi, at Bowlero. Delegations from all over South Texas came together to compete in the tournament. Special Olympics offers year-round training and Olympic-type competitions for…