Recent graduate a quarterfinalist in baking contest

Rebecca Farias began as 1 of 50,000 competitors Rebecca Farias is a mom, recent DMC paralegal graduate, business owner and, now, quarterfinalist in the Greatest Baker competition. The national online baking contest awards the winner a grand prize of a feature in “Bake from Scratch” magazine, $10,000 and a meeting with Buddy Valastro from the TV show “Cake Boss.” “I had seen it on a couple different bakers’ posts that I was following on Instagram, ” Farias said as she brought up how she first heard of the competition. “You had to apply, so I submitted some pictures, applied, got…

Austin’s 30th annual Powwow

On Nov 18, 2023 Austin held their 30th Annual Powwow at the Travis County Expo Center inviting more than 80 tribes from North and South America. Honoring traditions of the past and sharing them with the public, each and every person was invited.  With traditional dance, singers, and drummer contest attendees also enjoyed real Native American foods. 

London HS students hit the weights

The London High School powerlifting team is a group of lifters who compete in regional and state weightlifting competitions each year. Led by Coach Tony Ramon, the competition consists of three major lifts. These lifts are squat, bench and deadlift. For each lift, there is certain equipment each powerlifter is allotted use of to help increase their numbers. The name of this type of powerlifting is called equipped powerlifting, and involves bench shirts, squat suits, wrist wraps, knee wraps and belts. While this equipment is generally designed to assist lifts, they are not designed to assist the lifter and can…

A 32-year-long tradition of togetherness

Candy Cane Lane residents share what the holiday display means to them The bright lights twinkle, Christmas music blares and sounds of laughter fill the air. With every Christmas season comes this familiar feeling, but within the Corpus Christi community, you’ll find one small neighborhood that serves the main source of this spirit. “Candy Cane Lane started with a dream,” said longtime resident Marshall Bocanegra. “A dream that would bring joy to friends and families. “That dream came from a lady named Irene, that’s my mom,” Bocanegra said. “She had the idea of her whole street being lit up with…

Silva family holds a, “Justice 4 Amethyst” event for upcoming anniversary of tragedy

As 2024 rolls in, for most this is a time to celebrate the new year. For the Silva family, it’s a reminder of their last moments spent with 11-year old Amethyst Sistine Silvia. Dec 31, 2022, started out like any other day. Father Robert Silva and Amethyst decided to spend the day together. “Me and her spent that day together, it was daddy daughter day. We went to Joe’s Crab Shack. She ordered her favorite plate – big ol’ plate of crab,” said Robert. As the family settled, midnight rolled around, Robert, mother Melinda and Amethyst decide to capture the…