Safe Space Club to march in PRIDE Parade

Students invited to participate as well Del Mar College’s Safe Space Club will march in Corpus Christi’s fifth annual Pride Month parade this Saturday. The club is excited for the opportunity, according to the club President Ethan Sullivan. “Having the presence of Del Mar College during the PRIDE Parade helps show solidarity with the large student population of Corpus Christi and the surrounding areas,” Sullivan said. “It shows that Del Mar is supportive of the LGBTQIA+ community and supports its student body that falls within the community.” Jonathan Swindle, president of PRIDE Corpus Christi, the nonprofit organization responsible for putting…

Coffee Show Review: Coffee Waves

Coffee Waves on South Alameda Street offers a cool, relaxing atmosphere and a variety of space that makes it ideal for any college or university student seeking a place to escape the stress of academic life. Of course, environment isn’t everything, if you’re looking for a cup of joe, here is what to expect: DRIP; BLACK It is to my understanding that drip coffee is the baseline for all other coffee beverages. This is because it is by far the simplest form of coffee, the quality of which being determined more by the equipment at hand and the quality of…

Wild Wolf celebrates one-year anniversary

Wild Wolf Halloween store celebrated it’s one-year anniversary on Sept 17. With live entertainment and an onsite food truck, spectators joined in the fun, some wearing their favorite horror character costume. To help bring the Halloween vibes to the Wild Wolf event, some horror movie fans came dressed as movie characters such as “Killer Clowns from Outer Space,” “Trick ‘r Treat” and “Terrifier.” CSL Plasma employee Jay Joel Gonzales dressed up as Terrifier, even carrying the infamous trash bag and a prop – a bloody saw. “I love dressing up and going to comic cons. I have seen all the…

IceRays win 1, lose 1 to start season

Corpus Christi’s hockey team, the IceRays, opened their season with two home games against the El Paso Rhinos. The teams met at the American Bank Center for the season-starting bout on Sept. 23 and 24. The first game started out shaky, with Rhinos forward Tory Lund scoring a goal by the end of the first period. Luckily, IceRays forwards Pierson Sobush and Mathieu Bourgault responded in kind with a goal apiece in the second period before the Rhinos tied it back up. The third period was quiet until two poorly timed penalties forced the Rays to field only three players…

Food bank rebrands

Del Mar hopes to help even more students with a planned expansion and rebranding of the Viking Food Pantry. The pantry, which opened in 2019 on Heritage Campus, soon will have locations at the Windward and Oso Creek campuses as well, according to Lisa Leal-Garcia, coordinator of Student Engagement and Retention. It will also be renamed Valdar’s Market. Del Mar partners with the Coastal Bend Food Bank to stock the pantry. While pantry assistants order the usual staples of canned goods, they also keep students’ wants and needs in mind when ordering. “I always try to keep the essentials stocked…