Volunteering, exercise could lead to big award

Volunteering in the community, exercising, drawing a picture and visiting a historical site can get you congressional-level recognition and a medal. The Congressional Award is a self-paced program that presents you with certificates and medals as you reach goals in Voluntary Public Service, Personal Development, Physical Fitness and Expedition/Exploration. “The program fosters principles of citizenship and encourages goal-setting, both important traits for youth to carry into adulthood,” said Derek Doyle, director of communications and strategic outreach for The Congressional Award. Time begins when you register at www.congressionalaward.org. As activities are completed, accumulated hours are carried on up to the next…

Students hit capital, meet legislators

The day started at 4:30 a.m. with 40-degree weather. Packed into two charter busses, about 50 students plus staff traveled to the granite steps of the Texas Capitol Building in Austin for Texas Community College Day. “The day is about giving the students an opportunity to interact with their state legislators,” said Rito Silva, vice president of student affairs. Mark Escamilla, president of Del Mar College, also made the Jan. 30 trip. “It’s a hustle-and-bustle kind of day. This is always one of the most enjoyable opportunities Del Mar has to offer. I love hosting the students and bringing them…

Wizarding Coffee Shop Open to Muggles

Susan Almaguer, owner of The Coffee MUGGle, opened her Harry Potter’s Hogwarts-inspired coffee shop early last summer.  “I’ve always been a nerd for this stuff,” Almaguer said. “I genuinely loved it and I thought, you know what, I need to do something different. I like sticking out and why not do it with a passion of mine which is coffee.” With the coffee shop now located near Del Mar College’s East and West campuses, at 1112 Morgan Ave., students such as public relations major Daisy Guana finally got to enjoy a cup of chai tea.  “I think it’s good that…

Same bus, different routes

As I hop on the transit and greet the driver, I flash my DMC identification card like a VIP pass. He gives me a nod, so I walk to the back of the bus and swing my body off a steel pole onto a two-seater. It is a relief I have the space to myself before the next wave of bodies comes pouring in. Fortunately for college students, this ride is free with a valid school ID; very helpful when nickel and diming for something from the dollar menu on a busy day. As passengers begin to board it’s easy…