Prepping for a transfer

Audra Rodriguez/ Staff writer

Every year counselors and advisors from TAMU-CC come to Del Mar College to speak to students interested in transferring. Transferring can be done upon completing an associate’s degree here at DMC or with credit hours but no degree.
The four main points to concentrate on when transferring are applying to the university of choice, sending official transcripts to that university, the application fee and contacting the academic advisor for your specific degree.
Olivia Bayarena, intervention specialist in the Office of Counseling and Advising said “Advisors in your major are the experts in the field and familiar with the course evaluation to find out what university would be best.”
She said a common set-back for most students when transferring is not speaking with someone in the department of the degree they are going to major in to see if the required classes will coincide with what they have taken.
With a little research online on the university of interest, students should be able to find an Admissions link with a tab for transferring students. That link will often have a list of specific requirements for the school and the packet to prepare. Some schools require essays and students should always double check deadlines so they don’t miss anything.
Patricia Hill, director of Transfer Services at TAMU-CC said, “Sometimes students think they must finish out a semester before they can apply; however, I let them know not to wait. They can send their information so it can be processed, set appointments with their academic advisors and be ready to take advantage of early registration. They will want to be sure to let the academic advisors know their current coursework and remember to send their final transcript. The new Meningitis law will need to be satisfied prior to registering.”
Transcripts can be obtained at the Registrar’s Office. DMC staff can mail as many transcripts as needed to other universities and the student.
Students transferring out of state should call the Admissions Office to the out-of-state university and see if any of the credits from DMC will transfer.
From there, officials at the new college or university will be able to help students decide if the new university will best for them.
Most universities make it a priority to be transfer-friendly and help in every way possible.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *