CROP Hunger Walk to help those in need

Local food bank,
Metro Ministries
to receive funds

Alexandria Rodriguez / Reporter

More than 1 in 4 children in Texas struggle against hunger, and more than 1.8 million live in households that are at risk of not getting the proper nutrition to live a healthy life, according to An estimated 1 in 6 Americans will not have a meal for the holiday season, according to the Corpus Christi Food Bank.

To make a donation or participate in the Hunger Walk, visit
To make a donation or participate in the Hunger Walk, visit

Parkway Presbyterian Church, at 3707 Santa Fe St., will be the starting location of a 2-mile CROP Hunger Walk on Nov. 10.  The walk, which begins at 2:30 p.m., will raise money to fight hunger internationally and locally.

“Anyone who is concerned for the hungry is welcome,” said Cecilia Rhoades, an adjunct sociology and anthropology professor. “We are also looking for anyone who would like to walk or be sponsors.”

Some 75 percent of the money raised will go toward fighting hunger overseas, Rhoades said. The other 25 percent will be donated locally, either to the food bank or to Metro Ministries.

CROP Hunger Walks, sponsored by Church World Service and organized by local congregations or groups, are community-wide events aimed at ending hunger. The first was held in 1969 in Bismarck, N.D., and there are now more than 1,600 CROP Hunger Walks across the U.S. each year.

The Corpus Christi Food Bank, which serves about 19,000 people each week, is one of two food banks in Texas authorized by H-E-B to collect perishable foods from the company’s grocery stores.

Corpus Christi Metro Ministries is committed to caring for the homeless on Leopard Street, as well as the working poor who are in need. According to, the group’s mission is to create a community that is free from hunger and homelessness.

The Corpus Christi Food Bank and Metro Ministries will share the 25 percent of the funds slated for local use that is raised at the CROP Hunger Walk. To make a donation or participate in the Hunger Walk, visit

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *