CC7D Film Festival award winners announced
Kaliegh Benck and Amber Quaid
After a grueling seven-day production schedule for 36 teams competing in this year’s Corpus Christi 7-Day Film Project, or CC7D, “A Life Lost” received the Grand Jury Award on Aug. 23 at the House of Rock. The awards presentation followed a screening of all the films at the Harbor Playhouse.
CC7D’s mission is to celebrate artistic expression through the medium of film. The goal is to complete an eight-minute film within a seven-day time constraint while following four required themed elements: a prop, character, a line of dialogue and a fourth element.
The essential elements of 2014’s entries included a chunk of ice (prop); Jack Thomas, a human male who knows where he’s going (character); “Is that all you bring to the table?” (line of dialogue); and Joey June, a female who is essential to the story of the film (fourth element).
Thirty-six entries made the cut for this year’s event and were split into four “flights,” or blocks of films, including 9 each. Each flight was designed to evenly split the films by content and quality respectively.
Casey Lain, owner of House of Rock, has used the venue to host and sponsor CC7D since its inception. The idea for the film project initiated between two local residents visiting the bar. All films were screened at House of Rock the first year of the event.
Now in its eighth year, CC7D has more entries and more of a following than ever. It’s had to move its location to local theater, the Harbor Playhouse, to accommodate the following it has accrued.
After each 36 films were screened, an after party was hosted at House of Rock to celebrate the day’s events and award those who stood out.
Matthew Thornton won the Best Actor award for his role in “Release,” by the team Raven Clan, while best actress went to Haley Erickson of Sleight Films’ “A Life Lost.”
A full list of winners appears below.
To keep up with the latest information of CC7D and those involved check out www.CorpusChristiFilmAlliance.com or Facebook.com/CC7Day.
- Grand Jury Award: “A Life Lost,” Sleight Films, Team Leader: Christopher Thompson
- Grand Jury Runner-Up: “Going Somewhere,” C4 Digital Films, Team Leader: Reagan Johnson
- Grand Jury Honorable Mention: “After Everything,” Fox Tale, Team Leader: Emily Saenz
- Audience Award: “Hypnosis,” MyersNation, Team Leader: Stephanie Myers
- Filmmaker Award: “A Life Lost,” Sleight Films, Teams Leader: Christopher Thompson
- First Time Team Leader: Emily Saenz, “After Everything,” Fox Tale
- Best Screenplay Award: “A Life Lost” by Christopher Thompson & Jimmy Willden, Sleight Films
- Best Actor: Matthew Thornton, “Release,” Raven Clan
- Best Actress: Haley Erickson, “A Life Lost,” Sleight Films
- Best Supporting Actor: Jacob Speights, “Going Somewhere,” C4 Digital Films
- Best Supporting Actress: Taylor Zamora, “Release,” Raven Clan
- Best Ensemble: “The Hangover Games,” Brazen Productions
- Best Original Score: “This Functional Family,” Brainstorm, music by Pablo Schmitt
- Best Original Song: “Mr. Reagan (Don’t Send Me To Grenada),” Team Edge, music by Kippy Edge
- Technical Achievement: “A Life Lost,” Sleight Films, Team Leader: Christopher Thompson
- Young Filmmaker Award: Katie Duncan & Andrea Tinning, “The Lead,” Funky Indigo
- Best Use of Essential Prop: “Tomorrow’s Date Night,” CC Pedicab, Team Leader: Steven Mendoza
- Best Use of Essential Line: “Tomorrow’s Date Night,” CC Pedicab, Team Leader: Steven Mendoza
- Best Use of Essential Character: “This Functional Family,” Brainstorm, Team Leader: Pablo Schmitt