Concert and flicks by the bay

Bay Jammin Concert and Cinema series kicks off 29th season Family flicks and cool tunes arrive just in time for summer with the 29th annual Bay Jammin Concert and Cinema Series at Cole Park. Established in 1989, the series is put together by Del Mar College GIS professor J.J. Nelson and the city’s parks department, which every summer offer a variety of styles of music every Thursday and a movie every Friday evening. “We do a little bit of everything. Our motto is all kinds of music for all kinds of people,” Nelson said. Although the bands have yet to…

The life of a colonia takes its toll

Residents often deal with bad water, frequent flooding  Rosemary Jimenez has lived in the Cindy Park Colonia for more than three decades, but according to her, “this isn’t a life I would recommend to anyone.” Sitting in her small trailer home on nearly two acres of land, Jimenez, 56, lists the illnesses that plague her: ”I am handicapped. Since 2009 I’ve had multiple strokes. I have seizures and heart problems. I was healthy before I came here.” She isn’t alone. Jimenez says that “in the last three years, six people have died of cancer on my street alone.” Since moving…

Police force in works

Eight officers to be hired for 2019, with up to 16 by 2020 Del Mar College will have an active police department by spring 2019 and up to 16 police officers by 2020, the Board of Regents heard at its April meeting. The department has been in development since 2015, when the college hired Lauren White as chief of security to help create it. The college now uses two-off duty CCPD officers per campus on most days with 26 other security guards from Allied-Universal Security Company who are on duty 24/7. The police department will start with eight officers in…

Zumba stresses rights of victims

Two-hour workout raises awareness, offers information National Crime Victims’ Rights Week concluded April 14 with a two-hour Zumba workout to raise awareness of the rights these victims have. The walls of the gym in Del Mar’s Kinesiology Building were adorned with banners detailing victims’ rights while food and water were available to those who attended. Rose Trevino, the regional victims service coordinator with the Texas Department of Criminal Justice Victims Service Division, spoke at the event. Janet Martinez, a local Zumba instructor, led the group of about 25 in exercise. Along with the banners, brochures with information were also available.…

Student’s sad story sheds new light on bullying

14-year-old tells about being picked on because of illness As 14-year-old Michael Collins began to speak at a bullying prevention event, he didn’t expect to steal the hearts of everyone in the audience. Michael was born with vertebral defects, anal atresia, cardiac defects, trachea-esophageal fistula, renal anomalies, limb abnormalities and Poland syndrome. His illness causes the right side of his body to be under-developed, giving him a smaller arm that he calls his “lucky fin.” Michael faces many challenges, one of the biggest being that he didn’t start speaking until he was 6 years old. Having to defend himself was…