The Foghorn staff traveled to San Antonio April 9-11 to compete at the Texas Intercollegiate Press Association conference and did not come home empty handed.
The Foghorn staff won 25 awards and one scholarship in the contest part of the conference.
Competing against four- and two-year schools in the state such as University of Houston, Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston State, Texas Woman’s, North Texas, Tarrant County, UT-Dallas, San Antonio College, UTEP, UT-Pan Am, Richland and Lamar, the staff pulled out the big guns for the competition.
With the original 1909 meeting at Baylor, TIPA became the oldest collegiate press association in the nation and has grown into one of the largest and most respected collegiate groups in the country. Contests have grown from three initial competitions to contests in general magazine, radio, television, online, two divisions of yearbook, literary magazine and six divisions of newspaper, plus more than 25 on-site contests during the annual convention.
- Kaliegh Benck Two-Year Designer of the Year and Third place headlines
- Tera Elwell Two-year Photojournalist of the Year and First Place Literary Magazine Photo Essay
- Meagan Falcon First place live contest TV Advertising
- Amber Quaid First place Literary Magazine, Feature Photo, and Third place for Sports Action Photo
- Vivien Sanchez Warms Scholarship, Third place Literary Magazine Feature Story
- Raul Alonzo First place for General Column
- Kira Hays Third place for OP/Ed page Design
- Victoria Trevino Second place for Literary Magazine Photo Essay
- Steven Martinez Third place for News Photo
- Carlos E. Gonzalez Second place Sports News Story
Honorable mention Best in Show, Second place Best Website Navigation, First place Special Section for 2014 Spring Break issue
- Vivien Sanchez Honorable mention Literary Magazine Feature Story
- Jonathan Garcia Honorable mention Critical Review
- Miranda Amey Honorable mention for Poetry
- John Muguerza Honorable mention Sports Column
- Beatriz Martinez Honorable mention for Feature Page Design
- Emily Jasso Honorable mention for Editorial Cartoon and Literary Magazine Illustration